Again we were dropped off at the Petronas Towers at unreasonably early time in the morning (8am) meaning we head around 3 hours to kill before we went in to our 11am session. We started off at one of the more reasonably overpriced places, sitting down to a breakfast of Nasi Lemak, comprised of: a piece of rendang spiced chicken, boiled egg, rice, roasted peanuts, and some spicy sauce. When read out in that order the meal may seem like a mess but it is sooooooo good once you've tried some, and once you have tried the best you are saddened to return to mediocrity. Unfortunately todays serving was nice but not mind blowing, that definition is reserved for the Nasi Lemak in Seksyen 17 market.
After the breakfast we aimlessly strolled the mall until it was time to take our tour. As the time approached we found ourselves at something resembling airport security, which makes sense considering we would be hurled at great speed upwards. As the tour got underway we were led into a little foyer giving us information on the towers history and general statistics, thank god for everything being in English otherwise this pause would have been most excruciating. Shortly after the demo finished we were ushered into what appeared to be an industrial service elevator, then at the speed of...something very fast we were on our way.
The observation bridge wasn't nearly as grand as I felt it should have been. The layout reminded me of an office floor about to be fitted for new tenants, not looking in need of refurbishment but just seeming to exist. With the banality of the interior I was relieved to find the exterior views much more satisfying but sadly the lighting made photography somewhat troubling. Although thankfully there was a kindly man who showed us how to use our semi-pro camera whilst touting a much smaller version, slightly embarrassed but very gratefully we took pictures left right and centre before being hurried to the next stop: the top floor.
Now HERE is where the vertigo set in. After going up the same lift we moved to a secondary lift where we were carried the last few floors, which felt a bit unnecessary. To top it off the transition was conducted with uniformed guards on either side, hardly the picture of efficiency. When getting to the top if I thought the views were good before these were stellar, and when I got close to the edge to look down I got the distinct feeling that I was swaying (that would be the vertigo) and had to move back. I did feel slightly uneasy when I got too close but persevered (how often would I be here!).
With the tour over within the hour we found ourselves back at the bottom by midday and wondering what to do, with the shopping trip fresh in my mind we decided to go back to seksyen 17, which we did using the KL train system, a first for me! The trains were clean and air conditioned which is all I could ask of them to be honest and it was nice to get a different view of KL for a change. To top it off when we got near to home we hopped into a taxi which took us (what I thought was quite a long distance) for RM7 which is around £1.40. Although the taxi did chug a bit when positioned on an incline, most likely due to driving a Proton, the national car.
Well no sooner had we gotten through the door we were planning the afternoons activities. With Lena only coming back once a year she tries to see everyone she can and there was another person to meet, a guy no less! Lingish rocked up and we went to a White Coffee Shop in seksyen 17 where I sampled a wonderful Ribena and Longan Ice Drink followed by a green apple ice drink. Chatting went on for a bit then our goodbyes were said.
Once again no sooner had we arrived we were off for dinner, at seksyen 17. We decided to try a new place we hadn't been before to try Bak Kut Teh which roughly translated means pork bone tea. It was definitely an interesting experience but I don't see myself repeating it willingly, too many nicer things around town :)
No comments:
Post a Comment