As I wrestled myself into the world of the living I thought to myself 'never again!', how wrong I was going to be. The day started off as most days so far, breakfast. If anyone is unaware of Malaysian shopping malls then quite frankly you haven't lived! The city of KL alone boasts a staggering number, if I spent a day in a mall every day for my entire trip I wouldn't get round them all.
The mall we were visiting today was the SS2 Mall very near to Lena's house. It had opened as recently as last year and was still showing some signs as there were still unoccupied space on all floors which looked to be a long way from completion. Having only experienced Milton Keynes this was quite a novel experience seeing such a young building. I later learned that malls were being opened at a rate of one every year (modest) and this was a common sight in KL The main purpose of our visit today was trying out a newly opened dim sum restaurant.
The food on show was typical dishes found in dim sum: siew mei, char siew pau, steamed pork ribs, squid, prawn balls and shrimp balls. The collection was great with many dishes of the highest calibre, at least to me. Lena and her dad felt it could have been better, but I was sold! Having had a bit of dim sum before I remember some meat buns I had a fondness for which turned out to be pretty common and too filling for most as people prefer to nibble on smaller dishes in order to experience as much as possible.
The rest of the morning and afternoon played out as expected with our time spent lazily moving around the mall and making final preparations for the trip to Perhentian. The prep was largely small things from pharmacy stores.
When the trip was complete we made final preparations and... headed out for dinner, this trip was not going to be kind to my waistline. Prior to our 9 hour coach journey to the docks we went for a bit of food in nearby section 17. Just like all meals before this one was filled with new tastes of a huge variety. Squid, chicken & beef satay, beef & scallions, ABC soup and some slightly more western dishes of broccoli and fried chicken. It was nice to see some western dishes on the table but I only felt compelled to eat the fried chicken as I seem to have a natural hatred of broccoli.
With dinner over we headed for the bus station, which is a far cry from the bus stations of the UK. Upon arrival no one seemed to know which area to head towards and were generally being unhelpful, so much so, we nearly missed our bus which we wait over an hour for. Thankfully aboard the bus we started our journey and began to relax, that was until we found that our driver would have preferred a career as a street racer, one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys I've had :(
No comments:
Post a Comment