I soon discovered this trip would not only be nutritionally enlightening but also dirt cheap. The one thing that travelling with a native Malaysian (Lena's Malaysian, did I not mention that?) affords you is amazing food at rock bottom prices, well I found it cheap, although the prices are apparently scandalous compared to when Lena was here last.
When we arrived at our dinner location, Ming Tian, I was quickly aware I was the only caucasian person there as well as being the tallest; this was not so much a problem for me and I quickly got used to the staring...
Onto the food! Chicken wings, satay, lamb skewers, friend noodles, clay pot chicken rice (Nga Poh Kai Fan), Rojak, pineapple juice, watermelon juice, starfruit juice. All of this arrived just in time for us to start eating at midnight, apparently a common occurrence. I am very much a fan of Asian food although I have tended to stray away from the more, shall we say, abstract dishes. Tonight proved to be a good introduction with all of the food tasting fantastic, although the jury is still out on whether or not I really like Rojak, only time will tell.
The main dish Lena was keen on getting was the clay pot chicken rice, a favourite of hers. I was advised, and in turn advising whoever reads this, that the best rice is that which is right at the base of the clay pot where it has become crunchy; there in lies a lot of flavour and... crunch I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment